Homework Guide For Parents
Homework - A Quick Guide For Parents
At UCC we consider homework as an integral part of education.
Through homework we aim:
- To equip students with the independent learning skills required for further education and later life.
- To give students the opportunities to work independently of the teacher, support staff and peers, to work at their own pace and to help inform on progress.
- To engage parental co-operation and support.
- To consolidate and extend the work covered at school.
- To give opportunities to reach beyond the confines of the school curriculum by challenging all students, and particularly the more able.
- To engender self-discipline with regard to meeting deadlines and balancing school-life pressures.
- To provide opportunities for students to apply their school work in a wider context.
- To help develop the 6 areas of Personal Learning and Thinking Skills (PLTS): Independent Enquirers, Creative Thinkers, Reflective Learners, Self-managers, Team workers and Effective participators.
- To create channels for home-school dialogue.
How is Homework Set?
- In Year 7 and 8 students should receive 1 hour h/w per fortnight per subject.
- In Year 9 students should receive 1 ½ hours h/w per subject per fortnight.
- In Years 10 and 11 should receive 2 hours h/w per subject per fortnight.
- Citizenship and ICT will set homework on a less regular basis.
- Some subjects won’t set homework on a regular basis:
- Music, PE (except GCSE) and Drama.
When will homework be set?
Teachers will ask students to fill in Page 16 of the Student Planner which shows the days on which homework should be set.
Teachers will not ask homework to be completed for the next day. Students should be encouraged to plan their time accordingly to complete work to meet deadlines.
Teachers will post all homework on the Show My Homework online calendar (see above for details).
How can Parents/Guardians be involved?
Parents/Guardians can encourage students to record h/w clearly, with the due date and to tick off when complete and record the time taken.
Encourage students to use Show My Homework online calendar (see above for details)
Please could Parents/Guardians check and sign the Student Planner once a week. Tutors will also check the Planners once a week and will looking for messages from parents and check that it has been signed.
Parents/Guardians can also:
- Use the planner as a means of communication with tutor/teacher.
- Provide an appropriate workspace for students to complete h/w, free from disturbance and distractions.
- Encourage students to work independently but to ask for help from parent/teacher if unsure.
- Encourage good time management, such as breaking down long tasks into manageable chunks, and not leaving everything to the last minute.
- Provide access to a computer, printer and the internet when appropriate and encourage student to seek alternative arrangements if this is not possible (in such circumstances students can use the library or computer room at lunch time)
Show My Homework
At UCC all homework that is set for students will be available on the Show my Homework online calendar. This shows clearly the due date of the homework and includes details of the task, and may have other resources or links attached.
To find your child’s homework on the Show my Homework Website simply follow the steps below:
- Go to the UCC website
- Click on the ‘Parent Links’ drop down menu at the top, then select ‘Homework’ .This will take you to the Show My Homework Calendar for UCC.
- Now click on ‘log-in’: Each student and parent has a personal username and password and a rescue PIN. – this enables you to see an online ‘to-do list’ for your child. This will include all the details of the homework tasks, and relevant attachments and weblinks.
- Any problems or forgotten log-in details please contact Mrs Spencer in Student Services.
Show My Homework is supported by all mobile and tablet devices. Parents have found this to be a very useful additional support to the Student Planner.